Head of the laboratory:
pHD of Biological Sciences, Senior Research Scientist
The aim of the laboratory is to carry out monitoring studies on the genetic structure control and cytogenetic analysis of brood stocks of valuable aquaculture species for rational use of their gene pool.
The importance of the laboratory activities is related to the necessity for the application of molecular genetic methods for solving classical problems of selection and genetics in aquaculture. Nowadays they are very important not only in the field of molecular biology but also in evolutional studies. The achievements of genetics and molecular biology provide opportunities for in-depth studies of regularities, for decoding the mechanisms of genetic information movement through generations, its realization on the individual and population levels of biological system structure.
The methodology of the laboratory works supposes the study of the genetic polymorphism of fish genome with the use of microsatellite loci and ISSR-PCR (isolation of genomic DNA, procedure of polymerase-chain reaction, electrophoretic separation of amplification products in agarose gel). For the study of somatic mutagenesis level we use a micronucleus test (sensitive method of the genotoxicity assessment of substances and stability control of fish genetic apparatus depending on their breed attribute as well as on their culture conditions) in fish peripheral blood cells.
Major areas of the laboratory activities:
- studies of genetic variability and structure of fish populations, which make impossible forming the adaptations to local conditions;
- study of DNA site polymorphism in fish;
- analysis of the effect of gene drift on the number of alleles, which are transferred to the next generation;
- use of molecular markers;
- detection and study of the range of species and population diversity of fish breeds and breed groups;
- detection and study of the degree of genetic similarity and following microevolution of fish breeds and breed groups;
- phylogenetic studies of fish breeds and breed groups.
Propositions of services for individuals and legal entities:
- control of fish origin;
- diagnostics of fish diseases at early stages;
- identification of gene pool of individual fish populations.