Lviv research station. Sector of hydrochemical and hydrobiological studies
Head of sector:
Ph.D., Sen. Res. Sc.
phone: +38 (03) 231- 24-135
mobile: +38 (098) 608-52-49
Aim of the sector: scientific works aimed at increasing the biological productivity of water bodies and rational using their biological resources by applying new environmentally friendly and cost-effective fertilizers.
Importance of the sector activities: currently, there is a world’s trend for reducing the operational expenses of fish rearing process including the expenses for artificial feed procurement. The best option is the stimulation of the development of natural food supply in ponds and obtaining bioorganic products. Correct and effective use of natural resources provides an opportunity to obtain cheap fish products.
Studies are carried out with the use of commonly accepted hydrochemical, hydrobiological, microbiological, ecological, ichthyological, aquaculture, and statistical methods.
Major areas of the sector activities:
- search for new non-traditional fertilizing substances for increasing biological productivity of cultures of food organisms;
- search for new non-traditional ways of pond fertilization for increasing their biological productivity;
- study of the peculiarities of the formation of fish pond hydrochemical and hydrobiological regimes when applying non-traditional feed supplements;
- study of the effects of pollutants of natural and artificial origin, heavy metals and pesticides on the ecological state of fish ponds;
- monitoring of the ecological state of fisheries important water object.
Propositions of services for individuals and legal entities:
- full and partial chemical analysis of water quality in fish ponds, recommendations for the optimization of aquatic environments;
- comprehensive studies of the development of natural food supply (zooplankton, zoobenthos) of fish ponds and recommendations for their increase;
- consulting in the use of traditional and non-traditional kinds of fertilizers, ways of their application in fish ponds;
- environmental assessment of fisheries important water bodies based on hydrochemical and hydrobiological parameters that allows determining the water body trophicity and production of food organisms for fish taking into account the allowable level of the use of food resources.
A Laboratory of water quality (certified by the SE «Ukrmetrteststandart» (attestation certificate №PT-223/15) operates as a part of the research station. It allows analyzing and assessing water quality based on following parameters:
- surface waters, pond water, tank water (dissolved oxygen, carbon dioxide, pH, permanganate value, ammonium nitrogen, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, total iron, ammonium, chlorides, sulfates, total hardness, calcium, potassium-sodium, mineralization, cadmium, copper, lead, zinc, cobalt, nickel, manganese);
- waste (return) waters (odor, transparency, pH, ammonium nitrogen, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, total iron, chlorides, sulfates, total hardness, calcium, magnesium, mineralization);
- drinking water from water supply systems, wells, aquifers (pH, permanganate value, ammonium nitrogen, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, total iron, hydrocarbonates, chlorides, sulfates, total hardness, calcium, magnesium, mineralization).