phone: +38 (03) 231-24-135;
Aim of the laboratory – development of the principles of rational fish feeding. Studies of the technological aspects of feeding taking into account different techniques of fish rearing as well as the detection of the role of different nutrients in fish growth processes and study of the supplementation of fish feeds with necessary supplements for obtaining positive productive results of the rearing of fish of various age categories. An important component of the laboratory activities is achieving the high quality of the meat of aquaculture-reared fish. To do this, we improve with methods of the diagnostics of the physiological and biochemical status of their organisms and develop analytical methods for fish product quality monitoring.
The Laboratory of Feeding has been created at the beginning of the work of the Lviv section of the Institute of Fisheries, because the development of the technological aspects of fish feeding as well as the formulation of fish feeds are essential criteria of success in aquaculture. Last years, a special attention has been drawn to an increase in fish resistance by introducing natural antioxidants such as amaranth, milk thistle, purple coneflower, and others to the composition of fish feeds. A significant achievement of the laboratory are developments on the incorporation of the organic forms of iodine into the composition of fish meat, based on which the freshwater fish products could satisfy the requirements in this element in many regions of Ukraine where iodine deficiency occurs.
To assess fish productivity, we use commonly accepted fisheries techniques. Feeding quality is assessed using Fulton’s condition factor, hepatopancreatic index, etc. A broad variety of methods is used for determining the activity of various enzymes: digestive system, antioxidant protection, lipid metabolism. We perform the morphological assessment of fish tissues and organs with the use of histological methods.
Major areas of the laboratory activities:
- development of new and improvement of already existing starting and production feeds for carp under the condition of pond culture with the use of local and non-traditional raw materials;
- study of the effect of mineral-vitamin premixes on the physiological-biochemical status of carp and productivity of their rearing;
- development of the methods of rational carp feeding;
- study of the norms of the use of immune-modulating and immune-stimulating preparation of plant origin in carp feeding;
- use of zeolites in carp feeding.
Propositions of services for individuals and legal entities
- development of fish feed formulas using accessible raw materials;
- tests of the quality of carp feeds on their physiological and biochemical state;
- experimental studies of feed nutritive value;
- development of feeding rates for cyprinids and sturgeons.