Head of the laboratory:
pHD of Biological Sciences
The laboratory has been created with a goal to carry out ecological studies of water, soils of inland water bodies and aquatic organisms, analysis of the effect of organic and mineral fertilizers on the development of natural food base of water bodies, detection of major pollutants in water bodies.
The importance of the laboratory activities is related to the fact that the efficiency of hydrobiont rearing rely heavily on the ecological state of water bodies. Currently, water bodies are continuously polluted by hazardous pollutants such as heavy metals, oil products, organochlorine pesticide, etc. The determination of pollutant levels is an important task because hydrobionts can transfer toxic substances to humans through the food chain. In addition, to meet the environmental legislation requirements, the organizations, the production activities of which has direct effect on the environment, have to perform in-house controls of both environmental pollution sources (effluent waters, industrial wastes from stationary pollution source, etc.) and nature objects (surface water bodies, bottoms, etc.). The main documents, which regulate the in-house control are Water and Land Codes of Ukraine, Law of Ukraine “On Environmental Protection”, Law of Ukraine “On the protection of atmospheric air”, Regulations on the collection of waste waters from the users to sewage system, Directives of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine, guidelines, etc.
The methodology of the lab works is based on generally accepted methods of ecological, hydrochemical, toxicological studies, which are carried out in both laboratory and field conditions – on reservoirs and aquaculture enterprises.
Major areas of the laboratory activities:
- creation and improvement of the methods used for complex fisheries studies adapted for specific conditions of the reservoirs of Ukraine;
- modeling the ecological processes in water bodies of different purpose;
- modeling the processes of dilution and mixing of the sewage waters of enterprises with surface natural waters;
- development of normative documents on analytical ecological studies of the composition and properties of environmental components;
- laboratory analytical ecological studies of water, soils and bottom sediments from water bodies of different purposes;
- complex monitoring of the state of natural and artificial water objects;
- environmental assessment of the quality of surface waters of Ukraine by classes and categories.
Propositions of services for individuals and legal entities:
- full chemical analysis of water quality;
- providing recommendations on the improvement of water quality for different purposes;
- consultative aid regarding the use of sorbents and reagents in water bodies;
- chemical analysis of soils;
- chemical analysis of frozen and chilled fish;
- chemical analysis of sewage waters and provision of recommendations on their purification.
The Laboratory of Ecological Studies of the Institute of Fisheries is attested by the State Enterprise “Ukrmetrteststandart” (attestation certificate № PT-223/13), has high qualified specialists, appropriate material and normative-methodical base for performing measurements of following parameters (according to the field of attestation):
surface waters, pond water, tank water (dissolved oxygen, carbon dioxide, pH, permanganate value, ammonium nitrogen, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, total iron, ammonium, chlorides, sulphates, total hardness, calcium, potassium+sodium, mineralization, cadmium, copper, lead, zinc, nickel, manganese);
sewage (return) waters (odor, transparency, pH, ammonium nitrogen, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, total iron, chlorides, sulphates, calcium, magnesium, mineralization);
frozen and chilled fish from inland water bodies (lead, cadmium, copper, zinc);
soils (lead, manganese, cadmium, copper, zinc);
drinking water (pH, permanganate value, ammonium nitrogen, nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, total iron, hydrocarbonates, chlorides, sulphates, total hardness, calcium, magnesium, mineralization.
The laboratory has prepared and improved a number of the methods for performing complex fisheries scientific studies adapted to the specific conditions of the water bodies of Ukraine.