Laboratory of hydrobiology and technology of the cultivation of valuable invertebrates
Head of the laboratory:
Ph.D of Agricultural Sciences
The aim of the laboratory is the study of the development of natural food supplys for fish culture water bodies and search for new effective methods for its increase; study of diets and trophic relationships of various fish species; development of the technologies of the cultivation of valuable invertebrates.
The important task of the laboratory activity is an increase in biological productivity of fishponds by intensifying the development of natural food supplys for fish; improvement of already existing and search for new effective methods for increasing natural food supplys with the use of non-traditional environmentally-friendly fertilizers; assessment of aquatic environment safety based on hydrobiological parameters (bioindication of surface waters).
Studies are performed with the use of standard methods generally accepted in hydrobiology, microbiology, ichthyology and aquaculture.
Major areas of the laboratory activities:
- studies of the peculiarities of the formation of natural feed supplies (bacterioplankton, phytoplankton, zooplankton, zoobenthos) in aquaculture water bodies;
- studies of structural-functional characteristics and assessment of the productivity of hydrobiological communities when rearing fish with the use of different technologies in mono- and polyculture for determining the supply of fish with natural feeds;
- search for new and improvement of already existing methods and ways for increasing the natural food supply in aquaculture water bodies;
- increase of biological productivity of aquaculture water bodies by using non-traditional kinds of fertilizers;
- development of methods for integrated management of bioproductive processes in aquaculture water bodies aimed at increasing the natural and total fish productivity;
- studies of the diets of various fish species;
- assessment of aquatic environment quality based on hydrobiological parameters.
Propositions of services for individuals and legal entities:
- integrated studies on the state of natural food supply (bacterio-, phyto-, zooplankton, zoobenthos) of aquaculture water bodies;
- development of recommendations on an increase in natural food supply in fishponds adapted for specific fish farms;
- consultations on industrial and laboratory cultivation of invertebrates for aquaculture needs (California worm, brine shrimp, daphnia, etc.)
- consultations on rearing valuable invertebrates (freshwater crayfish, freshwater (Ampullaria glauca) and terrestrial (Helix aspersа) snails).
Scientists of the laboratory have developed:
recommendations on the methods for increasing bioproductive potential of ponds by using new organic fertilizers (biocompost, riverm);
methodical recommendations on the use of brewers’ grains as non-traditional organic fertilizer in fishponds;
methodical recommendations on the use of alcohol industry wastes – grain wash as an organic fertilizer for increasing the development of natural food supply and fish productivity of fishponds when rearing cyprinid yearlings;
recommendations on the manufacture and use of vermiculture in pond aquaculture;
recommendations and biotechnical norms on the procurement and use of brine shrimp (Artemia salina L.) eggs;
technology of the breeding and rearing of freshwater snails (Ampullaria glauca);
recommendations and biotechnical norms on the breeding and rearing of Helix aspersа in closed premises;
recommendations and biological norms on the breeding and rearing of freshwater crayfish to the young-of-the-year stage.